Lessons from 2015 & New Year Resolutions for 2016

Thursday, December 31, 2015

I don't know what it is about a New Year that always has us all like, "Time for that new year, new me stuff!" But it happens every year. I have never really made an official resolution list aside from three things I jotted down in my planner at the beginning of last year that included showing Hank at a dog show, having a baby, and writing more. Well, turns out only one of those things happened. Hence, how this blog was born.

Anyways, New Year Resolutions. Maybe I've never made one because just like with a fad diet, I feel like it's hard to really stick to. Does that makes sense? I mean at first you're really enthusiastic, do everything just right, and feel like you really know what you're doing. Then after a little time passes you slack off, lose interest and therefore gain all the weight back or fall off the bandwagon entirely, whatever. I've always thought if I was going to change my diet, it would have to be something I could stick with forever or what's the dang point. Over time, fad diets? They don't work out. 

Or maybe that's my way of avoiding making a resolution list and holding myself accountable? No telling.

Without a doubt, this has been one tough year. Like the toughest for me ever. Yes, there were many highs, but also a lot of low, lows. I have said it before and I will say it again. I am not one to wish away time, but I am more than ever ready for the start of a new year. I am ready to put the past behind me and start anew. Bring it, 2016. And with that, I feel it's time to officially document a list of New Year's Resolutions. How's that for accountability?

1 / Being More Thoughtful
There's nothing I love more than finding little ways to let someone know I am thinking of them, I care, they are special, or just because. I have a calendar that I am constantly scribbling important dates on, but do you think I ever bother to look at the thing? Sometimes. I am going to make it a priority to check the calendar regularly and remember those important dates and also go out of my way to be more thoughtful and the best possible version of myself and friend I can be.

2 / Move More 
My goal is to be more fit! I always find excuses, but then I find I am mad at myself later if I don't get out and move, not to mention complain all the time with how I feel, look, etc. NO MORE! I love how I feel after I exercise, and I truly miss running! I used to run a lot. Not like I was a superstar runner by any means, but I did it without pain and enjoyed it. A back injury set me back, but I feel like I am ready to ease back into it, and hopefully be able to do another race or two in the new year. I always love a good competition. 

3 / Show Hank
Yes, this is a repeat from last year, but since I never did it, I will carry it over into the new year as well. Sometimes with new experiences, it can be a little overwhelming at first. You don't know what you're doing, you fear being judged, or you worry about little things that, in the end, deter you from trying. Just me? I felt this way about entering the dog show crowd, but after attending a few classes with my dog I was so surprised at how much he and I both enjoyed it, and really, what is stopping me? I just never quite made it to the shows because of the intimidation factor. Here's hoping I can muster up the courage this year. After all, he and I aren't getting any younger!

4 / Finish House Projects
Since buying our home a year and a half ago, there are still many things we need to complete around here. Ryan and I are going to sit down and compile a list of things we want to complete this year and then do it! Also, I want to finish other projects I have been dreading like sorting through old paperwork, getting my office in check, and ridding our life of things we don't need or use anymore. 

5 / Make Time For Fun
Whatever the coming year brings, I want to make sure Ryan and I always remember to have fun together. It's easy to get caught up in the everyday routine, but I want us to make time for just us and get out and do fun things. I have a little surprise that goes along with this one I am hoping he really likes. More on that later...

Despite this year being a little rough, there were a few lessons I did take away. Sometimes you just have to get rid of the chaos in your life. Sometimes you have to be a little selfish and make yourself a priority. Sometimes you have to say No. Sometimes things don't go according to plan; sometimes they go better if you take the time to enjoy the ride and find out. Sometimes you have to let the laundry sit for a few days so you can make time for other important things. (Sorry babe!) And sometimes, you just need to call your Mom.

I was reading one of my favorite blogs yesterday, and like many times before, Kelle (who I absolutely love reading and admire!) had just the right words for what I was feeling...

"You don’t own your family or their feelings or your circumstances. You can’t guarantee your health, you can’t lock in your youth. But you do always have the power to make. Choices, changes, happiness, comebacks, words, songs, love, amends, space, someone else’s day, beautiful things. I love to think about what I’m going to make this next year." -Kelle Hampton via

Here's my attempt at fitting a year's worth of memories into nine squares. Trips, tears, triumphs and treasured special times. My year would not be what it was without the love of family and friends. Their love and support means the world to me. This obviously does not include everyone but you know who you are!
1/ BLB Weekend 2/ Laporte Camping 3/ Seattle Trip, Top of the Space Needle 
4/ Becoming an Auntie 5/ My Family 6/ Round Top Texas Antique Week Trip 
7/ Jeepin' to the snow 8/ Mama & Me 9/ Puppies and Keith

And with that, Cheers to the New Year and making more things! I wish you good health and happiness in the coming year. 

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, friend! I hope your 2016 is full of health and cheer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend! Happy New Year to you as well!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting and making my day :)

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS