Family Snowmobiling Trip {Starting off 2016 right!}

Sunday, January 3, 2016

My family has always been a mountain family. For as long as I can remember, and even before that because I've seen pictures, my parents have been toting me and my little sister to the mountains for any and all occasions. So many of my favorite memories take place outside having fun somewhere in the mountains. Annual Christmas tree cutting, motorcycle riding, visiting the snow, swimming in the summer, mountain bike riding, staying at grandpa and grandmas cabin, jeeping, snowmobiling, or simply just picnicking. No matter what we are doing, my favorite part is being altogether.

It felt so, so good to start the New Year in the mountains. I was extremely bummed Ryan missed this trip because it was such the perfect day, minus him being there. The fresh powder snow, the sun shining, my family laughing, smiling, and enjoying our sweet time together, and riding until all that was on my mind was the trail in front of me and the views all around me.

We just got into snowmobiling a few years ago, but the conditions here have not been the best in California the past couple seasons, so Ryan and I sold ours because it seemed like we could never use them. My parents still have two that we were thrilled to finally get to take out! Of course, now we want to get two more except I'm afraid if we do we will hex the weather and it'll go back to being a drought. Ha! We are so lucky we live in a place that give or take an hour in all directions we can be in completely different locations. I love how we can load up in the car for an hour and be in a complete winter wonderland.
Headwarmer / Black Jacket
Black Jacket / Burton Black Snow Pants (old) Similar /
Cozy Leggings / UA Cold Weather Base Layer / Cold Gear Shirt
I would also like to note here that it was blazing cold outside! My not-so-secret to staying warm is layers, layers, layers. I have on two pairs of leggings, two pairs of socks, snow pants, two shirts, one fleece jacket, plus one oversized waterproof jacket. I am plenty warm riding around because you actually get a workout, but sitting back at the truck I was still cold!
Sis and I started the day on a short little ride to check the conditions and check on our grandparents cabin. They close it down every winter since the only way in is by snowmobile and to prevent major issues from the snow, but whenever we're up in that area riding we stop in and make sure all looks right and take some pictures for them. There wasn't that much snow, but we will take what we can get at this point. 
As if it wasn't obvious enough by the parking lot that the entire world was on that mountain for the same reasons we were, the usual riding trails were ROUGH despite being groomed. We made a few pit stops for some attempts at sledding, some quick pictures, then headed back to which we found my parents taking a snow walk. At first I thought Dad was getting worried so he came looking for us since we had been gone so long, but nope. Just thought they'd take a walk.
Then Dad and Sis took a ride together while Mom and I held down the fort back at the truck. When I say hold down the fort I really mean we sat in front of the heater, had lunch, people watched and got to visit. When they returned, Dad and I headed out for another ride. We rode to the dam then did some climbs to the top of the mountain where the views are unreal. I always feel like I'm on top of the world. It should also be noted this is where my Dad told me we need a selfie stick for pictures and I died that he even knew what they were. 
White Jacket (old) Similar / Burton Gloves / Sorel Boots (old) Similar 
On the way back down, as I was literally thinking what a perfect day it had been, how bummed I was Ryan missed it but how proud he'd be of me, and basically feeling relaxed, revived and refreshed, I wiped out and the snowmobile flipped completely over on me. I sunk in the powder so no harm done. I sat there stunned for a minute then had to laugh. That's exactly what I get for not thinking, right? I went off in some powder and failed to see the little well in the snow and before I knew it the snowmobile was completely upside down and I was sitting there, like, "What just happened!?" A nice man stopped and my Dad turned around and we were able to get it flipped upright and back in action. Apparently Dad had just stopped to check on me and saw the whole thing happen in slow motion; great timing. I told him you're welcome because if it weren't for me he wouldn't have met a new friend that day.
Taking a breather after we got her flipped back over.
I wasn't hurt at all, but boy I am not in snowmobile shape by any means, and I am definitely feeling it today. That's the greatest thing about getting out and riding is that you use so many muscles in your body that you never thought possible. According to my Fitbit yesterday I took nearly 20,000 steps! 

Now I'm looking forward to getting back out there! Bring on the snow and bring on 2016! 
I couldn't picture a better start to the year...

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting and making my day :)

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS