A (non) Recipe: Energy Bite Snacks + A Pro Tip

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Ok, so I am sure this is nothing new for you as they are all the rage right now in stores and on Pinterest. I personally have read many different takes on recipes, but the truth is this post is more of a non-recipe of sorts because you can make these yourself at home with whatever you have in your pantry, tailor them to your specific taste, and I am sure they will be just as scrumptious.

After our hike this weekend, my cousin came over and we were determined to whip some of these up as a snack. I told her I had a pantry full of random ingredients that we could use, so it was an added bonus no items were purchased specifically to make these.
Here are the ingredients I had on hand that we mixed in. They will give you an idea on some things you may have that are begging to be used as well.

/ Oats
/ Almonds
/ Shredded non-sweetened coconut
/ Sunflower Seeds
/ Peanut/Almond Butter
/ Coconut Oil
/ Dried Cranberries
/ Chia Seeds
/ Ground Flaxseed Meal
/ Vanilla Extract (a few drops)
/ Maple Syrup

So as far as the instructions or recipe go, I recommend using your choice of a grain, nuts or seeds, dried fruit and a mixture of sweetner and fat to bind it together. You can go crazy and add all the things or just stick to a few. We started by adding minimal amounts of the nut butters and oil and added a little more until it was the right consistency to form into small size bites. Again, you really can't go wrong with what you use. I promise they will taste good!

Here is one tip that I really had not thought of myself before and that was to the throw the oats into the blender real quick. It grinds them and turns into more of a flour consistency. My cousin told me this little pro tip and it was kind of mind blowing! If you really want to get fancy, she says she will use a 50/50 mix of flour and ground oats when baking cookies. So smart. That's one reason why I hang with her.

Once we got the mixture to stick together, we rolled them into balls and stuck them in the fridge. We made them bigger so you really only need one to feel satisfied.

Give them a try, I promise if I can make them without a recipe, you can too!

1 comment:

  1. I love these! I make them a lot because they go pretty quick in my house. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and making my day :)

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS